Skip to main content
Campus Resources
Photo of HRL and University staff smiling



Residence Education Coordinators

Residence Education Coordinators (RECs) are full-time professional staff members who live in a residential community and are responsible for the educational and operational functions of the living area. They manage residential areas and supervise the Graduate Hall Assistants (GHAs) and Resident Advisors (RAs). RECs have college degrees and significant experience working with college students. Much of an REC's time is spent serving as an active resource for students and staff who reside in their hall/area. Learn more.

Support Staff, Building Environmental Service Staff, and Maintenance Staff

Critical to departmental operations, our support staff members in the Main Housing Office, Technology Services, Residence Life, Financial Services and Facilities Services, as well as our Maintenance and Building Environmental Service team members, help to keep Housing and Residence Life delivering the highest possible service levels to our residents and guests. For available opportunities, please visit the UNC Charlotte Employment website.

Security Guards

Security Guards monitor main building entrances, make building tours and enforce policies and procedures. In addition, they provide services such as issuing loan keys, responding to emergency situations and checking out equipment. Security Guards work from 11 p.m. to 7 a.m. on most evenings. For available opportunities, please visit the UNC Charlotte Employment website.


Graduate Hall Advisor

The Graduate Hall Advisor (GHA) position is a 10-month, part-time (approximately 20 hours per week), live-in, graduate position within the Department of Housing and Residence Life. The GHA is responsible for providing administrative support to an assigned residential community housing 300-750 students or to department-wide Residence Life programs and services such as staff training or student leadership programs. General responsibilities include supervision and advising of undergraduate students, assisting in the coordination of residence life, operational and assignment functions; and performing other administrative functions as needed. Learn more.

Resident Advisor

Resident Advisors (RAs) are part-time paraprofessional staff members of the Department of Housing and Residence Life who live in an assigned residential hall/area. RAs work closely with and are supervised by Residence Education Coordinators who also live and work in the residence halls. RAs serve as valuable campus resources and have many different responsibilities. RAs spend significant time getting to know their residents, building relationships with and among their residents, and serving as positive peer leaders. RAs also enforce community standards and University policies to maintain inclusive residential communities. Most importantly, RAs work hard to foster communities that are welcoming and conducive to living and learning. RAs are selected for their leadership potential, interpersonal abilities, positive and caring attitudes, and sense of responsibility. Learn more.

Desk Assistant

The main responsibilities of the Desk Assistant involve providing administrative support, customer service, and loan key operations to residential students in their assigned Village. Loan Key desks are open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week during the academic year, and the Desk Assistants provide coverage while the Loan Key Operator, Residence Education Coordinator, and Security Guards are not present. Non-loan Key Desks are open Monday to Friday 12 p.m. to 8 p.m. Desk Assistants are expected to work mornings, evenings, weekends, and some holidays. We recruit for the Desk Assistant position several times throughout the year, so please check eRezLife for the application. If you have any questions or would like further information then please send an email to and one of our staff will reply. Learn more.

Housing Ambassador

Housing Ambassadors are primarily responsible for conducting daily tours of housing facilities, participating in housing recruitment events, providing customer service to students and their families during campus visits and providing general office support for Housing and Residence Life as needed. Candidates for the Housing Ambassador position should have excellent communication and interpersonal skills. They should be knowledgeable and committed to learning more about UNC Charlotte and the Department of Housing and Residence Life. They must also be able to effectively express and represent the living on campus experience in a positive way. Learn more.

Conference Housing Assistant or Conference Housing Assistant - Team Leader

CHAs and CHA-TLs are employed over the summer months. They are responsible for providing hospitality services and assistance to participants who stay overnight in our residence halls as a part of summer camps/conferences and Student Orientation (SOAR). The specific duties of both CHAs and CHA-TLs include facilities/room preparation, checking guests in/out of housing, key management, inventory control, operating information desks, administrative tasks, and providing support to non-affiliated University visitors. CHA-TLs will have additional leadership responsibilities. Learn more.

Maintenance Assistant

Summer Maintenance Assistants will work under the direction of full-time maintenance mechanics to support building maintenance and renovations in the areas of general repair, painting, plumbing, and carpentry. Duties include inspections of housekeeping and maintenance issues, painting/patching drywall, changing light bulbs, assisting with furniture and small carpentry repairs, moving University furniture and mattresses, distributing operational supplies across campus, etc. Learn more. For summer or regular academic year opportunities, please contact Housing Facilities Services.

Facilities Desk Assistant

Facilities Desk Assistants will work in the HRL Facilities office and help answer calls, emails, submit and track maintenance requests, and perform other office administrative tasks that directly support HRL facilities and maintenance. For summer or regular academic year opportunities, please contact Housing Facilities Services.