Skip to main content
Campus Resources

Supporting Our Residents

To better support our residential students and families, here are some guidelines and recommendations to make sure we are directing requests for assistance to the most appropriate resource for response.


IDENTIFY: The first step in guiding our students is accurately identifying the nature of their issue or concern. Is the concern an emergency that requires an immediate response no matter the time of day? Or, is the concern something that can be addressed within the next business day?

ACT: Direct emergencies to the appropriate emergency or on-call staff for immediate assistance. Direct other concerns to the appropriate office or staff member for a response as soon as possible within two business days.


Call Police and Public Safety 704?687?2200.

Call Police and Public Safety: 704?687?2200

Call Police and Public Safety: 704?687?2200

Call HRL Facilities 704-687-7502. 

After business hours, call the appropriate Loan Key Desk or RA on Duty.

Ask students to submit a maintenance request. They can expect to receive a response from our staff within 2 business days.

Ask students to contact their assigned RA or REC to schedule a time to discuss the concerns.

Submit a Care and Concern report for follow up from an appropriate University staff member.

Email to report the issue.

Please know that our staff regularly monitors social media and is likely already addressing the issue.

Ask students to call 704-687-7501 or email

Ask students to call 855-465-6729 or email

More information about that service be found here

Ask students to call 855-465-6729 or email

More information about that service be found here.

Thank you!

We appreciate all that you do in support of residential students! You can download a printer friendly version of this information here

If you have any questions about how to best support our students, please contact the Housing and Residence Life office at 704-687-7501 or email

Residents in expanded housing at The Edge should be encouraged to contact their assigned REC or RA for assistance. Please do not direct them to property management staff.